Willoughby Willowbank

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Healer Prince
  • Played By: Jones

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    32 Posts    0 marks
Roadside Service
« on: February 11, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »
There wasn't a word for the shade of red the water from his sink ran. Willoughby was sure there should have been. A special color just for the blood of queens. He could still feel it, like a film that couldn’t just be washed away. Clinging to his hands. Fogging his mind.

He washed his hands because he was told too. Stuck staring at them until someone pushed him towards his room. Told him to clean up. His reflection in the mirror was pale. He didn’t look. Couldn’t meet his own eyes. Afraid they would look as strange as the rest of his body felt.

It took the chill of a stiff wind for him to realize he had gone outside. Walking aimlessly. Bumping into other people as he cut down busy city streets. Unaware that their mumbles and sharp gasps were not because they collided. But because of the ominous stains that darkened the front of his shirt. Vague, since the dark green fabric hid the nature of the substance. There was no masking the scent of her caste, of course, poor Lady Shore.

That was where his mind lived. Stuck in the moment. Mentally checking and rechecking every step he had taken. He had done alright. She had survived. But had he done his best? Was his work right? Was it impeccable?

Shivering he looked up, suddenly aware his surroundings were unfamiliar. Not foreign, though. He had been here. Recently. Eyes swinging right to left he called his suit jacket in. Pulled it up over his shoulders and closed the front as if that might hide the state he was in. Long, lean fingers brushed over his face. Shit!

Why had he come here of all places?! Willoughby sat on the bottom step. He wouldn’t stay. Wouldn’t bother Teagan while his thoughts felt so wild. One lovely dinner and a sweet kiss were not enough for a man to go dumping a bad day in her lap. He just needed to sit a minute. Until his head stopped swimming. He leaned forward, head between his knees and hands pressing down his curls.

And I can’t help but stare, cause I see truth somewhere in your eyes.
@dergon

Teagan Fern

White to Yellow
  • witch
  • Played By: dergon

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    23 Posts    0 marks
Re: Roadside Service
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:39:25 PM »

The street was full of similar front doors, and matching front steps. Dozens of narrow townhouses pressed in next to each other. Sharing walls and stoops. Tidy little things that required upkeep in their contracts. Teagan's had a blue door and shutters, the door besides her painted red with shutters to match.

Her neighbor was an obnoxious warlord who was constantly trying to catch her on the stairs and lecture her for some imagined infraction.

It made her hurry. Every day, coming or going, she always rushed up and down the steps, certain to break something if she were to miss one and fall.. Except the other night when she had lingered at the base of the stairs, fingers curled into the hair at the back of Willoughby's head. The heels of her hands pressed into the back of his neck, keeping him close.

She'd heard about that too, the next morning. Shouted at her as she'd run down the steps, out for a day of.. she didn't know! Something! Full of energy, too much to stay home with. Half the neighborhood had probably heard it, actually, but Teagan didn't care. A thousand scoldings shouted from rooftops couldn't ruin the perfection of that moment.

She did it again today, charging down the stairs, fingers pulling her hair up out of her face as she went. She'd forgotten she was supposed to be having dinner with her family. An hours long affair that took up half an afternoon and most of an evening. So quick were her feet she very nearly trampled him before realizing he was there.

"Willoughby!" She nearly fell on him instead, grabbing the stone wall that blocked in the steep steps, tiered mini gardens planted along the front of each townhouse. Teagan's was mostly coverage plants, with broad leaves and easy care. "Mother Night, you scared me... are you alright?" Pushing herself away from the wall, Teagan inched in beside him sideways, and then down the stair in front of him, frown mimicking the dejected curve of his back.

Her fingers brushed his, smoothing the curls that had sprung up between the gaps. He smelled of... something that tickled her instincts. Blood, mostly.

"It's not your lady, is it?" She worried, crouching in front of him, hands fluttering just outside of touching his arms. Never once wondering why he was here, at her doorstep, of all places.

Willoughby Willowbank

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Healer Prince

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    32 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 07:33:16 PM »
It was a sure sign of his distraction that Willoughby remained unmoved as she bounced down the stairs. Did not hear his name on her lips, either. Eyes shut as he tried to master the strange wave of feelings that assaulted his mind. He felt tired and clammy but strong and angry too. Like he could lay into a woman or shake her brains to scramble.

Her question pressed in on his thoughts. He took a long time to answer though. His own words pulling together from the back of his mind very slowly. ”I’m okay.”

The soft warmth of her hand made him realize how cold he felt. Soothing on the backs of his fingers. Made his crawling skin sit still again. Then they were eye to eye, he realized. Head rising slowly to meet her nervous scowl.

Hand absently climbing down his jacket front Willoughby shook his head. ”Safe. Mine is safe. This one too, now.” Safe and sleeping. Waiting for the long acting webs to do their part.

The question made his stomach hurt, though. Twisted and pulled. It could have been his lady! They could want her dead too, whatever madmen had done this. He didn’t know if Wren was really safe. If she would stay safe. He wanted her home, or to go to her. Lady Crag had mercifully bid him go if he needed. Logic, though, had intervened. Better, he knew, for River to shelter her in place. For him to stay in Walcourt with his patient. And not draw attention to the inn where they stayed by showing up in their little room. Doubly glad now he had chosen to book only one bed for them to share.

”Not my lady.” He reiterated. Voice stronger, nearer, less lost in the Abyss. There was no reason to wait there. River was not looking for him right now. His eyes worked to focus. To pull Teagan to the front of his vision and conscious. ”I’m so sorry. It’s shock or some such.” The healer in him explained. Mindlessly running one hand over the nook of his elbow. Bruise hidden beneath coat and still rolled up shirt sleeve. Had he given too much, or not enough? He still didn’t know.

Teagan Fern

White to Yellow
  • witch

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    23 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »

He didn’t sound okay. Teagan nearly blurted that very observation out loud, but managed to hold it in, tongue caught between her teeth. Her stomach churned, cold settling like a serpent in its center. Made nervous by this strange Willoughby. Previously so animated and attentive, now listless and cold on her doorstep.

”Oh. Well. That is good!” Not really! Idiot! It meant another queen had been attached. Fidgeting, Teagan settled her hands on his knees, gave them a comforting squeeze. Not enough, she was sure. But something had to be better than nothing. Poor Willoughby. ”I’m glad it wasn’t your lady.”

He seemed so keen on her. And from the way he spoke, Teagan could understand why. She sounded like a good queen, Lady Cloverbridge, described to her by Willoughby himself. The gaps left by the society pages filled in until she seemed real to Teagan. Less like a distant figure if fantasy. More like an actual woman.

Still a queen though.

”It’s okay. Don’t be.” Backwards girl! Teagan ran her hands up and down his shins. ”Have you been out here long?” Oh she hoped not! How could she have noticed him? Dear man. ”Do you want to come in? It’s warmer inside, out of this wind.” She fussed quietly, not sure what more she could offer him.

”It comes straight up the cliffs this time of year. Brings all the cold sea air with it. And brine. Makes the streets salty. But at least there’s no ice.” She was babbling again, trying to tempt him in with her fingers and rambling words.

Willoughby Willowbank

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Healer Prince

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    32 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:48:15 PM »

What was good? Right. It wasn’t Wren’s blood. That was good. ”You have no idea.” They would all be dead if it were hers. He was sure River wouldn’t leave anything but a smoldering pile of ash where the territory once sat. And from his pit in Hell Willoughby would be glad. They were both Wren’s but like it or not (he suspected she didn’t yet) Wren was also for River. No one in the world was safer tonight. Who was in danger, though. That was the real question. Only queens? All women? Everyone?

”I am though, I don’t know what made me end up here... You look nice. Are you going on a date?” Even half dying of shock Willoughby noticed. Knew she was pretty enough to get offers every night of the week. His chilled fingertips swept over hers as she gripped at his knees. She slid into sharper focus. He took a ragged breath. She did look really nice, and here he was ruining her plans.

He moved to stand but didn’t manage to lift his bottom from the step. When he tried the world turned to a blur of formless colors. Blinking her face back into his vision Willoughby rubbed his cheeks, feeling guilty for showing up where he wasn’t expected. He should have been home in bed. Her question turned him bashful, color rising slowly up his neck. ”I... can’t say. I don’t even know what time it is.” A few minutes or a few hours could have passed. Time had stopped the second he rushed through the infirmary door. It had started again but he was oblivious as to when.

Willoughby caught the hands that raced over his legs. Gave one a gentle squeeze and pulled the other to his lips. She smelled nice. It felt good to breathe her in. Put some of the scattered pieces back in place inside his barriers. ”I couldn’t intrude. Look at you, Teagan, all pretty and leaving the house. I just need to sit a while. Find my head.”

Or a tea shop with a strong brew. But that was probably a bad idea considering his current wardrobe. He could find his way home. Or to a Red Moon house. That was a good idea he was pretty sure. ”You’re such a doll.” She was working her fingers at him. Bidding him in. Closer. He wanted closer so badly there was an aching hole in his chest. This time when he stood he slid his hands up by her elbows and held on for balance. Miraculously he didn’t pull them both back down to the ground. He only swayed for a second. ”I’m alright.” Mostly. Partially? He was alive anyway.

Teagan Fern

White to Yellow
  • witch

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    23 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:10:56 AM »

She really didn’t, his tone warned. A frown worked itself between her eyebrows and a chill down her spine. Well, she didn’t need to know! That was alright. Teagan didn’t think she wanted to. Didn’t want Willoughby to either, not if it meant the spilling of his lady’s blood.

”Don- what?” Teagan blinked, caught of guard by the sudden change in subject. Or at least the diversion of its path. A blush crept in from behind her ears, where it had been lurking. ”No! No date,” she promised with a soft laugh. Did he ever stop flirting? Teagan was beginning to think not. ”And really, I don’t mind the intrusion.” Even stinking of blood and not quite himself she didn’t mind.

He was much too sweet and beautiful for that.

”Oh Willoughby.” The frown returned. Teagan fretted. Should she call someone? Maybe a carriage to take him home where they would know what to do? But she didn’t know where he lived. Lady Cloverbridge served at the Territory court, but that didn’t mean Willoughby lived there. Her fingers curled over his cheek. Poor dear. She really ought to get him out of the cold somehow, somewhere!

”You can find your head inside, where its warm.” The blush spread over her nose. He must have been delusional. ”I was just going to see my family, is all. They’ll keep.” Mostly anyway. She would have a lot of explaining to do, and guilt to endure, but it would be fine. And worth it. ”Please,” she laughed. She was no such thing! Incorrigible flirt. Teagan gave him a smile and helped him to his feet the best she could.

”Sure you are,” she chided softly, coming a little closer so he could steady himself on her. Glad she wasn’t a wisp of a girl to be knocked off balance by a bit of swaying. ”Think you can manage the stairs? I’ve got a great new stash of tea at the top.” And a strong shoulder for him to lean on on the way up. Key already called back in so she could unlock the door for them.

Willoughby Willowbank

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Healer Prince

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    32 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 01:21:32 AM »
Prettier still as the familiar rush of color blossomed across her cheekbones. He would be glad in a bit, that she didn’t have a date. For now he nodded stupidly at nothing. There had been no question asked or confirmation needed. Was he staring again? He couldn’t remember how long he’d been looking. Turning his gaze down to the toes of his gray suede derby shoes he ceded, ”If you’re sure.”

”It’s alright. I’ve just lost track.” He didn’t like her frowning. It didn’t suit her face at all. Adorably done, of course, but he rather her smile by far. That bit helped too, though. Tightening his chest. Making his heart beat a little faster. Another small measure of clarity filtering to his brain. Again he repeated. ”It’s just shock. Is all.”

That was still right. Shock from the transfusion. Warm would be good. It would help. ”Ok. For a little, then.” Not long enough to be too much a bother. Her color deepened, and he nearly found a grin. It quickly furrowed to a scowl. ”Oh,” Her family. He didn’t usually get to the point in a relationship where families were even discussed. Made it feel strange to wonder if hers might not like him now. Stealing time he hadn’t meant to steal. ”Very little then. Family time is important.”

He knew she was a hard worker. A businesswoman earning her marks. Her time was valuable. At least she seemed to enjoy his stealing it. Smiles and giggles despite his poor balance.

”Mostly.” He assured her. It would come back, the being fine. Once his blood pressure rose again. ”Yes, I’ll manage. Go on ahead, though, so if I do tumble we don’t go down together.” He gribbed the stone banister just in case. ”I like tea. There’s a shop in town with every sort you could imagine.” Maybe he would take her there. A breakfast or a lunch date. So she didn’t get the idea he was only after her bed.

That part would be fun, of course. But he liked all the rest of her too. Liked it enough to wait. At the top of the stairs he flashed a bashful grin, smoothing his hopeless hair down only for it to spring back into place.

Teagan Fern

White to Yellow
  • witch

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    23 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:03:02 AM »

"The healer would know." It worried Teagan though, she didn't know what to do for someone in shock. Not really. Her mother had tried to give her lessons, but Teagan hadn't really paid much attention. Healing was for healers, which Teagan decidedly was not.

In fact, she thought about sending a thread to her mother, for help, but the way his face furrowed made Teagan think that might not be such a good idea. Made her squirm too, unsure how to react, what it meant. Shushing him softly.

"It's alright, they'll understand." She saw them once a week at least, anyway, for these big ridiculous dinners that took far too long. "My mother is a healer, so she'd probably be put out if I ran off and left you." Teagan smiled encouragingly, hoped speaking of her family wasn't the wrong thing to do, wasn't the thing that had made him scowl at her.

"Oh. Okay," Teagan let go of him reluctantly. She liked the contact just as much as she worried about him falling to his death down her stairs. "Just be careful," she fussed, taking the stairs at a much more sedate pace than usual. Eyes constantly drawn over her shoulder to him. "Is it Cuppa Tea? My friend owns that one. I get all my tea from there."

At the door Teagan glanced sidelong at her neighbor's, worried he would come and start in on them. But peace reigned. Looking up at Willoughby, she smiled, shooing his fingers away from his hair.

"Don't, they're fine." More than fine, she thought. Key in the lock, Teagan opened the door and let him in. Bright colors to keep the small space airy, they stepped right into the sitting room, and almost the kitchen. Creams and blues and greens dominating. Brighter, and richer colors peaking through. Petal and blooms, picked out on wallpaper and fabrics.

A mess of felt and ribbon spilling out of a basket near Teagan's favorite chair.

"Have a seat anywhere, I'll put the kettle on. Are you hungry?" She would feed him anyway, certain she had something in her cupboards. Maybe a fresh package of tea cookies. She didn't even keep her icebox stocked. Warm and empty, it simply took up space. Teagan hoped he didn't like cream in his tea, realizing then how unprepared she was for visitors.

Bustling to hide her embarrassment. At least it was tidy! Mostly. She'd tossed her scattered laundry into a basket earlier for taking down to the laundress. She'd tried it herself in the bathtub, once and only once it had gone so poorly. Kettle rattling and water running, Teagan lit the stove with witchfire, which always got the tea water boiling faster than conventional means.

Plus it meant she had to pay attention. No wandering off and letting the kettle boil dry. A couple choices for tea, since she didn't know what he liked, and a fresh package of cookies just as she'd thought. Her cabinets otherwise mostly bare, her kitchen practically pristine.

It would have been much more useful as a work room.

It didn't take long before she was sliding a tray onto a low table. The tea set had been a gift from her brother, brought home to her from his travels, and the only reason why she had anything other than her favorite chipped mug to share with Willoughby at all.

"I'm sorry. I don't have company often," she admitted with a blush, not sure where to put herself. Near him? Very near? Perching on the edge of a cushion next to his. "I didnt' know what you like to drink, and I don't have cream, I'm afraid." She pulled the package of the cookies open, spilling some onto a plate. "I could run out and get some, there is a shop just on the corner..."

Willoughby Willowbank

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Healer Prince

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    32 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »
That made him smile, a light hmm buzzing by his lips. He couldn’t remember if she had mentioned her mother was a healer. Probably. They had done the typical date small talk. Who their parents were. He knew she had a brother. And the aunt. ”She’d probably send you back to scold me. We tend to expect more from our own caste.” He thought it was like that for everybody that had one. That was point of such definitions to help them all relate to one another. Healers and Queens, though, seemed especially critical of other members of their castes.

”I will,” And he was. Holding the wall until he met her on the stoop. It took longer than it should have by a second or ten. Took him a minute to answer her question too. Thoughts behaving like wet noodles as he tried to gather them up and straighten them out. ”I, um, I think so? A nice girl- or, woman I should say, runs the place.”

He would remember, later, that she was friends with the tea shop owner. Friends were good resources for men looking to treat a woman. They knew what her favorite things were and often liked to help with such surprises. He would remember too the way she looked at the next door over. A fleeting glance that suggested worry. Gone again as quick as it had come.

Somehow they wound up tangling over his hair for a second. Or rather, his fingers at his hair. She stopped him, his tight lipped smirk quiet contrite. Distraction coming by way of her door opening. The scent hit him first. Subtle and light. But so Yellow. So Teagan. His eyes adjusted to the soft hues as he gravitated towards the center of the room. Standing with hands that had found his pockets again. It suited her, and said she lived in much the same way Willoughby did. Neat and practical but comfortable. He liked the space.

She set to making tea. And he wanted to help. The hands that started on his jacket buttons were still shaking, though. Better not. It took him a long time to get the front open. Only to remember what was underneath. Never mind then. He left it open rather than fight to close the again. Tucking it closed and holding the overlapped corner with an elbow as he sank onto a cozy loveseat. ”I’m not sure I can eat.” Not sure he should yet. He might be sick, then he’d really be embarrassed.

That was right, he realized, head bowing to cradle in his hands again. He was very ashamed for the intrusion. Would not stay long in this lovely relaxing place. It was even a nice size for a young person living alone. he liked that he could glance over and see her while she was busy in the kitchen. Waiting quietly as the soothing hint of steeped tea wafted over.

The tea he needed, surely. Fluids were good, replenishing and all that. He needed Teagan too. Sitting close, but not close enough. He wished they were more than just first date aquaintances. Wished he could pull her into his lap and smell her hair without looking an indecent fool. Than hand he slid over hers was exceptionally polite. Careful not to touch her leg or anything so intimate. ”No, no. I only need a pinch of sugar most of the time.” Never cream, anyway. Just a tiny touch of sweet when the brew was too bitter.

Like a small hand to curl his fingers around when the world had been dark to him.

He leaned closer, forgetting about the tea already. His other hand finding the wrist of the same hand he held. Thumb stroking over the place her pulse thrummed. Jacket opening because he forgot that mess too. ”I feel like someone’s padded my barriers with cotton gauze.” Ridiculous and half lost.

Teagan Fern

White to Yellow
  • witch

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    23 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »

Teagan wished for half a second she was more than just a witch. A bit of hearth craft would have seen him more comfortable, she was sure. Or some sort of healing brew concocted in her bare kitchen to ease his troubles. All she had was a comfortable love seat and good tea. She was adept, now, at boiling water and seeping leaves. Lindy had told her exactly how to do it. And Teagan had written it all down, three times. One note to pin in her kitchen, another for her back room at the shop, and a third for her inner pocket in case she got caught while out.

She didn't much need to read them anymore.

"Oh, well, I found cookies if you feel like it." Nothing better. She supposed it was good he wasn't hungry. Made a mental note to stock up her cupboards with a bit more than packaged sugar treats and tea. Just in case he came by again unexpectedly. Half hoping he would, but not at all for the same reason. Poor lamb. Teagan let a bit of a warming spell spread out across the room, gave the old radiator a kick on her way in with the tea.

Poured, too, because he looked all bent in on himself, like he was trying to hold something in. Just getting the cups warm with it when his hand slid over her own. Teagan paused, peeking at him, head just barely tilted in his direction. She turned her hands around in his, opening her palm beneath his own. It must have been a very bad day indeed.

"Oh, sugar I have." Teagan whispered, blushing. He needed something from her, she wasn't exactly sure what, but thought maybe she knew. Seemed strange though, and not her place. Used a big of craft to spill sugar into his cup while puzzling over it. Still trying to sort it out when he came in closer, another hand over hers, thumb at her wrist, where her heart beat wildly.

Jacket parting to expose the dark stains across his green button up. Releasing a new potency to the scent that had warned her earlier.

"Oh, Willoughby." Teagan stroked his cheek. A bad day indeed. She shied away from the blood and the thought of who might have spilled it, and just what that might mean. "I can imagine why." Just a little, even though she didn't want to. Pressing his fingers with her own, Teagan deepened the warming spell, and spun a little calming one through it too. She used it mostly to settle customers who needed settling. Willoughby wasn't half so belligerent as an upset lover looking for a gift to right wrongs, or a frustrated bride who's alterations hadn't gone quite right.

But she thought it might take the edge off his upset.

"Do you want a clean shirt? I can scrub that one for you." She wouldn't be able to get the blood out, but she could expunge the scent at least. Violence and bloodshed and worry. "I have a couple of my brother's here, for when he stops in." They weren't quite of a size, but she thought it would fit well enough. Better than anything of hers, anyway. Well... "I do have an extra large sweater I got for snowy days, if you'd rather." Not sure how much Peer's shirts would smell like Peer. It had been a while since her brother had worn them.

Willoughby Willowbank

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Healer Prince

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    32 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 05:22:19 PM »
”In a bit.” He compromised instead of arguing. Always better to compromise. Especially when a woman was going out of her way for you. Not that he was going to stay long enough to be a burden. He hoped. She had family plans to get to.

Feather light probes tested the room. To see if she had made a thread to her family. If she was having to make apologies for his thoughtlessness. He sensed none, but it felt nice to stretch his Craft. To taste something other than the maelstrom of overcrowded feelings inside his barriers. Carefully maintained so he didn’t stink her pretty little house up.

There was a hint in her voice that sharpened his focus more. Helped him to save away some of the jumble. It was like cleaning a room. Like the scene and the fear had shaken things out of place and he just had to tidy up his secret rooms again. Sugar.  Sweet. Potent. He knew Teagan was those things too. Had kissed her and been sad to stop. Could still imagine her hands at the ticklish muscles on side of his neck. Pressing in to draw him closer.

Warm and open then. Just as she was now. Even if he could feel the flicker of anxiety that flashed across her face taint the room. Tainted further by his clothes. Gaze following the line of her sight to the open jacket. His fingers fumbled over the stains, mercifully dry now. Pulled the opening over itself. ”Sorry.”

His hands found their way back to his hair. As they always did. Stroking his curls as his mother did when he was very small. Rubbing the skin on either cheek beside his nose. Lips dry now that they were out of the wind. The gentle pressure off warming spell and something less obvious wrapped him. Steadied his hands enough for one to release her and reach for the cup. No need to let the tea go to waste. A little sip before he set it aside again. Back on her little tray. Picking at her spell with probes to distract himself. Finding the almost hidden strands he had sensed but not recognized. ”I can’t do those you know. Calming spells. Never figured them out.” An odd thing for a healer, the one thing that his rapt studiousness had never been able to improve.

”Well...” He did. Wanted to be out of the one he wore. Maybe tucked in close to her without it. Skin on skin until her Yellow eeked away the potent blood of other. Of not his queen. ”I wouldn’t mind a change. If it’s not a bother. I’ll bring it back.” She wasn’t take this one, though. It could go in a furnace. Or shredded up to give some lucky sods garden a winter boost. He would never wear it again. Nor watch her scrub at it when she could have been enjoying time with her mother and brother. He didn’t say he wouldn’t let her, though. In case she put up a fuss. He would just vanish it. Now. Now was good. His jacket shrugged away to that same secret cabinet. Blundering fingers slipping over the tiny buttons of his shirt. ”Fucking... Hell.” He cursed under his breath, fighting to get even one loose.

He tipped his head back. Eyes drifting closed. Checked the Abyss again, for a poke or a prod. Any sign of Wren or River. What was that boy up to? Why hadn’t she reached out at all? That was the well done he wanted to hear. The good job Willbe that counted. But they were too far for him to reach. So he took a short breath and went back to his damned buttons.

Teagan Fern

White to Yellow
  • witch

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    23 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »

”Don’t be, it’s not your fault.” Teagan hushed, soothing his hands as he fretted as his jacket. ”It’s alright.” Maybe she shouldn’t have said anything. It had to be hard on him, being both prince and healer. But his lady was okay!

He needed petting, Teagan could see it. Soothing himself with his own hands since his queen wasn’t there to do it for him. Stuck instead with her, a witch who wasn’t sure she was up to the job. No where near the same as a queen one had sworn service too. But he seemed to like her well enough. Hands returning to her. Maybe hers would do in a pinch. She’d let him drink his tea first though, watching as he sipped at it. Not much, eyes turned inward.

”Oh.” She blushed, embarrassed to have been caught. ”Sorry, I just thought it would take the edge off some.” Teagan didn’t want him thinking she was afraid, or even suspicious of him. He didn’t seem to mind, however, just curious. Teagan was too. She’d always thought healer’s were good at such things. It had been her mother who taught her.

”My mother taught me.” She explained, hands working over his. ”I guess that means you had to work extra hard on your bedside manner instead of taking the easy way out.” Maybe it would lighten to mood some. He’d enjoyed the banter before. He was certainly more clever than she. ”I use it on customers who don’t like their bill.”

Not really. Well only sometimes.

”It’s not. Let me go get it...” What was he doing? Teagan froze, half way out of her seat to fetch him a shirt. But Willoughby was already out of his jacket, slipping from it quicker than she would have expected him to be able to. Vanishing it before she could offer to take it. ”Oh.” Eyes widening as he swore. She’d meant to offer him the washroom!

When he paused, head falling back on the couch, she finished her lunge from her seat. The shirt wasn’t far, Peer’s. He kept a small drawer of her things in the living room, tucked just bellow her endless supply of bobbins and ribbon and hat molds. She brushed his hair as she went, slipping behind the couch to get into the small stand of drawers she kept her things in. A potted plant draped over the top of it, leaves wilting.

Yanking out one if her brother’s shirts, Teagan crept back around the front of the couch, easing into her seat. Not sure where to go or what to do now. Offer the washroom? He looked asleep. Tentatively, she reached for one of his hands, just as is leapt to life and began attacking his buttons again. Jumping, Teagan gave a little giggle.

”Here, if you don’t mind.” Cheeks flaming, Teagan covered his hands. Much more forward than inviting him in, offering to undo his buttons for him. She thought her hands would be steadier. Found that they weren’t much better than his own. She frowned as she concentrated, at the same time trying to pretend she wasn’t doing what she was doing.

”There!” There! Mother Night. Blushing furiously, Teagan tried very hard not to look. It wasn’t right. Willoughby was in obvious distress, he’d come for comfort, she thought. Not to be ogled at. Clearing her throat, she thrust Peer’s shirt at him. Her brother was wider in the shoulder, but leaner in the chest, she thought, from the glimpse she’d caught.

Mother Night.

”Here you are.” She wasn’t looking! Sliding the shirt up his thigh. Not looking at all. Mother Night. Were healers allowed to be so... no! She wasn’t looking!

Willoughby Willowbank

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Healer Prince

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    32 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 11:51:55 PM »
The corners of Willoughby’s eyes crinkled when he smiled. He hadn’t meant to make her feel ashamed at all! It was a thoughtful thing to do. He was glad she cared enough to do it in the first place. ”No, no I should have thanked you. It’s sweet and you do it so nicely.” Very tidily. If he wasn’t so raw he wouldn’t have even noticed. With a little chuckle he dropped his gaze to his neatly manicured hands.

”She taught you well.” Her fingers were thin and nimble. He liked how smooth and round her knuckles looked compared to his thicker square ones. He had been taught well too. ”Good manners never hurt.”

How often had his aunt repeated the phrase? It was a good basis for interacting with patients. Which he needed since the psychic methods others used were beyond his Craft. Laughing at her joke- or anecdote? he told her how long the problem had persisted. ”I’ve always been abysmal at psychic craft. Compulsion spells, illusions, but calming spells in particular. They do the complete opposite. I used to practice on my little cousin, River. He’d get so hyper he would run around for two or three hours straight.” Willoughby grinned at the memory. ”So I learned to do it with brews instead.”

More potent than the tea, which he sipped again. Not half as delicious though.

In his distraction over battling his shirt buttons Wiloughby hadn’t noticed her reaction. Not until she was offering to help. Shifting in his seat he nodded, ”Please.” Never once assuming she might be uncomfortable. Even when her brow creased. Fingers nearly fumbling the buttons too. Chin doubling as he bent his head down to watch he gave a few furtive glances at Teagan. So red.

Slowly, despicably slow, it dawned on him. The shirt already undone. His eyes on Teagan as she turned her face away. His usually surgically precise probes wavering as they tested the air but not the woman. He smiled, almost laughed. ”Teagan...” Would he sound arrogant? Or forward? Would she think he was here for sex? ”it’s okay. To look at me.”

If she wanted to. He’d show her as much as she’d like to see.

It was disappointing to feel a very definitive lack of stirring when she brushed the shirt up along his thigh. Not tired. Just not ready. He caught her wrist instead of grabbing the shirt. Wanted to see her look, one time. That was all. He wouldn’t ask her to touch or even enjoy it. Not while his skin was too pink, stained just like the soiled shirt he started working down his free arm. Waiting to vanish it until it was hanging from just the one wrist. ”I’d look. If the shoe were on the other foot. Proverbially speaking.”

Teagan Fern

White to Yellow
  • witch

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    23 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 05:03:49 AM »

”Oh no! Your poor cousin!” Teagan laughed, still blushing from his compliments. She’d barely managed to whisper a thank you in reply to them. No one had ever commented on them before, not since her mother taught her. It was nice, if strange, to hear. Sweeter, somehow, coming from him. At least Teagan thought so, watching him sip his tea.

He almost seemed himself again. Until he started in on his shirt. But maybe that was his too. How could she know, or judge? She barely knew him, this man stripping his clothes off on her couch! And yet she was helping him. Fetching him a clean shirt. Working the buttons when he couldn’t. Pretending that he wasn’t watching her undress him.

”Yes?” She glanced up at him as he called her name. Careful to look nowhere but his eyes. Beautiful, clear eyes. Like still water at night, reflecting moonlight. Almost silver but not quite. Teagan’s blush deepened. ”Oh, I umm.” The room suddenly very small and very warm. It didn’t seem to deter him any, however.

Teagan snorted, covered her mouth at the noise and tried not to laugh into her palm. Slowly, carefully, as if looking out hurt him, she did. Look. Eyes creeping down past him chin. His neck. The lean, hard body she had felt shift beneath her hands as she’d worked his buttons loose. Why ever would he need compulsion spells when he looked like that?

The thought made her bite her lip and look away. Down his arm as he pulled the shirt off of it. Pulse erratic beneath his fingers. Eyes catching on the red welt. Not quite healed, bruise forming around it. Teagan gasped.

”Are you sure you’re okay, Willoughby?” Teagan reached for it, fingers hesitating without touching. Wishing she could do something, anything! ”What happened? She whispered, eyes sweeping up his blood pink torso. Had he been involved in the violence too? Was he hurt? More than the angry mark on his arm?

Willoughby Willowbank

Rose to Purple Dusk
  • Healer Prince

Little Terreille Kaeleer
    32 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 09:42:18 PM »
Teagan liked him. Willoughby didn’t fidget as their eyes locked. Her wide warm hazel gaze soaking him up. The nerve endings in his abdomen twitched, sending a fluttering sensation up his front. Some people called it butterflies. Knowing the anatomy behind it did not detract from the pleasantness. In this instance, in fact, it helped.

With the butterflies came a faster pulse, evening his blood pressure. Made his mind sharper. Let the tension of his neediness rise to the top. Teagan, sweet innocent creature, the focal point of all his feelings. Blushing at his suggestion. But not so innocent she ignored his offer. He couldn’t help smiling. Tickled instead of offended by the nervous noise she made.

He didn’t move. Not the sort for flexing or showing off. It was a good, strong body. He kept it that way. Channeling his genetic propensity for too much energy into exercise. Arms that could lift patients, or pretty girls, when they needed to. ”It’s okay to like it, too.” He would.

She was distracted though. Widening eyes on the roughly healed prick at the inside of his elbow. ”Oh.” There was a blackened little scab in the center. He rubbed it away with a thumb. A touch of the Rose he had left over from the real work dripping out to lessen the  swelling. ”I am. This is just from a transfusion. One I gave, not got. Don’t be worried.”

He didn’t want her to fuss. Catching her gaze he tucked the clean shirt between his thighs so his hands were both free for holding hers. ”I... if I say its better kept between us for now. Is that okay?” He remembered the way she spoke of paper. So enraptured with the society news. She wouldn’t tell. He trusted her in that blind naive way that got him into so much trouble. Being interested and divulging secrets were very different though! Was it even a secret? He wasn’t sure. ”There was another... incident. In Nin this time, but the queen that was attacked ended up in my care.”

Lady Shore’s sleeping form and the sharp way Lady Crag had demanded she be covered shot through him again. He covered his face against the wave of emotion. ”I’m sorry. It’s stupid I’m so worked up. She’s going to be fine.” But it had been so close. So terrifyingly close.

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open since 2017, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

WINTER - AW103 to AW104

The seasons will change on 02/21.

Recent Topics

Character Archive, Retrieval & Transfering by kayndred
[November 29, 2020, 10:45:34 PM]

Home for the Mourning Days by Starling
[November 28, 2020, 06:32:43 AM]

Surprises in Winter by Roan Bélanger
[November 26, 2020, 05:10:34 AM]

Snowcat by The Darkness
[November 26, 2020, 04:44:22 AM]

Transactions by The Darkness
[November 23, 2020, 05:54:43 PM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

The Second
Eunuch | Open Jewels | Paon
Hand to the Mother Priestess

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner