Description:

Ophelia Shore

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
  • Little Terreille Kaeleer
    34 Posts    0 marks
Changes
« on: January 04, 2018, 08:20:39 PM »

The whole territory stank with it. Uncertainty filled the air. Changed the steps on the streets into shuffles. Made Ophelia unwilling to leave her own house. Most days she didn’t leave her room. Hiding within the four walls that seemed to command a respect she did not. No one bothered her there.

Oh they would knock. But no one forced entry, would could not be said for elsewhere.

It seemed less secure now, however. Intruded upon by Lady Crag’s Ebon-grey Prince. The chair was still there, in the middle of the floor where he had summoned it. Bid her sit in her own room as he lounged on her vanity couch. Left her with sweet compliments, half his body in the Abyss.

Today she had left it. Descending the stairs to her office. The curtains pulled wide so the bright autumn sunlight could filter in. Fill the room with warm light. Magda was dead but the territory was not. The sun still shown. The birds that hadn’t flown elsewhere still sang.

Prince Medin still lurked in her halls. Ophelia was hoping to be rid of him. Which was why, after a good breakfast and a strong cup of tea with a nip of brandy in it, she had summoned him to her office. Or, at least, requested his attendance.

His contract was on the desk before her when he arrived. The contract that bound them. Drawn up by a dead queen.

”Prince Medin.” She greeted him coolly. Careful to keep her emotions her. Always careful when it came to all of them. Sure she could only trust Aniko anymore.

Kyle Medin

• Inactive Character
  • Warlord Prince
    47 Posts    0 marks
Re: Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:49:29 PM »
Kyle looked at the summons, stared at it for longer than he really ought to.  He was hurting from so much and it wasn't going away. Magda is dead, a whisper in the Darkness. A good Queen and someone he considered a friend.  The pain stabbed at him. He took another sip of whiskey. It didn't phase him in the least. He'd had three already this morning.  Lilika. His inner self spoke her name so softly, as tenderly as a lover speaking to him. His eyes winced shut and he fought the tears. She'd disobeyed him, hurt herself.

Those two things were like constant nails in his heart and now to be summoned by Lady Shore? He was not going to cry.  Every moment seemed to push him towards the breaking point. He was fighting it though. He hadn't let loose on anyone. He trained in the morning in the most brutal fashion, tearing his body down to burn the rage off. He'd been in Rut when it happened. His memory was sideways and he couldn't really tell what happened.

Still...he set the glass down after finishing it and stood tall. He was a Sapphire Warlord Prince Steward. He was not afraid about being summoned. He pushed the rest of his problems aside and took a deep breath in, then let it out. "Alright then." He spoke in his normal dry way. It sounded almost natural.

He walked the halls where everyone still avoided him. They were pathetic for fearing him, he protected them didn't he?  He sighed and knocked gently on the Queen's Office door.  He bowed to her appropriately, Warlord Prince to Queen, Sapphire to Yellow. "Lady Shore, you requested my presence?" He hadn't sat yet, waiting to see if it was needed.
Kyle Medin
Steward to Lady Ophelia Shore

Ophelia Shore

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
    34 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:22:49 PM »

He smelled of booze. Not strongly, but Ophelia could still smell it. Especially when he spoke. Bow politely. Respectful in his address. But Ophelia knew better. He was not polite. And he did not respect her. And he had been drinking.

Her fingers played at the edges of his contract. Unsure now if she should proceed. Would drink affect him at all with Jewels that dark? She had no way of knowing. Of gauging. Less still when she could not know how much he’d drunk before attending her.

Annoyed he would do such a thing to begin with. Head inclined to accept his bow. Body refusing to return it. Beast. Brute.

”I did.” He was here now. Best to have it done with. Ophelia wished she had thought to have someone else on hand. Anyone. Maybe a witness to his ugly temper would help him keep it. But it was too late for that. And if Ophe was lucky, she would have no need of it after this meeting.

”Please sit. I wanted to discuss your contract. Since things have changed.” Murdered. Their queen was dead. A new one had yet to announce itself. Nor had a council of queens been called. It made Ophelia nervous. Especially with that scary bitch sitting like a spider in the territory palace.

Kyle Medin

• Inactive Character
  • Warlord Prince
    47 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:39:13 PM »
His eyes flashed around the room in a moment, his warrior instinct kicking in quite suddenly as he looked at every way to escape, or places they could be attacked from. He couldn't let what happened to Magda happen to her.  His eyes stopped moving around the room as he could feel...was it nervousness?

Kyle looked at her, the drink certainly not affecting him yet, though he wished it would.  He looked her over.  He knew he must smell of the whiskey he'd been partaking in, how could he not?  He would listen and wait, not jumping to any conclusions. He sat, his hands steepling in front of him as his body burned through the alcohol even quicker it seemed.

Things had definitely changed, he wasn't sure Lady Shore realized how much in reality.  "Since Lady Fields..." his voice caught and he was sure he was being strangled. He blinked away the tears that welled up. No. He would not cry.

"I don't see what needs to be discussed Lady Shore. My contract was signed by all parties involved and I've held up my end by ensuring your safety while also properly managing the funds that have promised a rather productive quarter. Do you have issue with my work?" Maybe the drink had affected him since he was actively trying to burn it off. His voice was still that boring, almost condescending tone it always held.
Kyle Medin

Ophelia Shore

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
    34 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:23:39 PM »

”Yes. Since that.” No one knew exactly what had happened, but rumors abounded. Flew quicker than bird’s wings. Dozens of them. Each one more unbelievable than the last. Prince Medin seemed deeply affected by it however. Strain showing around his face. Sorrow, Ophelia thought.

She did share his grief. Too caught in uncertainty. Not as attached to the woman lost to them. Too worried by the way he looked at her. The way he sat over his fingers. Strained herself, in having to deal with him at all. His cock sure arrogance even in grief. Patronizing while stinking of drink.

Ophelia’s lips twisted.

”Because the contract was drawn up by an outsider. Put in place for this court by the territory queen.” They weren’t supposed to meddle. Yet here they were. Stuck together because of another queens meddling. ”And that queen is no longer ruling.” She flicked the edges of his contract. It was hard to remain composed.

Door shut. Alone. Ophelia inhaled.

”Your work is fine, Prince Medin.” He was a good Steward. But she hated him. ”But I think you would be happier serving elsewhere.” Far from her.

Kyle Medin

• Inactive Character
  • Warlord Prince
    47 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »
Kyle frowned, well frowned more than he always did when Ophelia Shore was in the room. He could feel the prickle of his emotional wounds flaring as she spoke. His eyes did something they always did when she was in the room.  They looked at her wrist.  It brought up another horrible memory.

He noticed the twist in her lips, her displeasure with him. It didn't matter did it? She's always displeased with you. His mind spoke out to him.  Kyle was glad for Lady Shore's meager strength. It meant she couldn't hear the thoughts she didn't need to hear.

He eyed her as she spoke, annoyance obvious in ever flick of the contract. It made him want to rise to the edge for how she treated such a precious document, signed by a now dead Queen.  He bit his lip and clenched his body as he would keep control.  "The contract was drawn up by a Good Queen." He spoke through gritted teeth his annoyance breaking through almost instantly.

"I would be happier serving La..." he stopped and breathed before he continued, "I am as happy as I'm able to be Lady Shore."
Kyle Medin

Ophelia Shore

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
    34 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 11:34:54 PM »

Ophelia made a soft noise of frustration. Just barely. A sigh of it escaping her lips before she clenched her teeth together. She could see the tension outline in his body. Shoulders stiff. Jaw tight, like her own.

But his temper was dangerous. The cold reminded her. Bones aching. Twice healed. Once poorly, the second time better. But twice was a strain on the delicate bones shattered in his fist.

”I never said she wasn’t, Prince Medin.” Hard to say now. Having ended up dead. Half her territory put to the torch. Ophelia licked her lips and smoothed the paper. Not wanting to cower beneath his agitation. She was the queen!

She should have been the only queen on the forefront of his mind. Eyes narrowing.

”Well I am not. And I’m offering you an out, with Magda’s passing. It was all her idea anyway.” A horrible idea. He was violent and had poor control. Dangerous to her. He’d even threatened her Priestess at sword point. Ophelia would be well rid of him.

Kyle Medin

• Inactive Character
  • Warlord Prince
    47 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 11:53:47 PM »
Kyle felt dangerous suddenly with her reactions. The only thing soothing him was her smoothing of the paper. He closed his eyes and tilted his head, trying so hard to leash himself. Not that it was his job to pull the leash around his neck.  It was Lady Shore's.  He was hers for the moment.

"I'm sorry, it seems I must be mistaken with your timing of trying to rid Nin of my services." There wasn't suppose to be anger in his eyes, or loathing.  Usually he kept the bored expression so delicately on his face.  With everything attacking his heart as it was, he couldn't keep the facade up.  He was hurt. He was injured.  And Lady Shore was taking advantage of it.

"I find it particularly interesting that you're willing to throw the good work I've been doing, alone, all away because you are uncomfortable with even trying to hold the leash of a Warlord Prince." There was fury in his eyes, loathing, despise and not an ounce of respect left. "You're a terror of a Queen with any any sense to see that I'm trying to protect YOU and all of Nin!" He didn't realize he was yelling the last part. Hadn't realized he was now towering at the edge of the desk, leaning over to be face to face with his enemy.
Kyle Medin

Ophelia Shore

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
    34 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 12:18:47 AM »

There it was. His temper rising to the surface. His mask slipping. No one else saw it. Some doted on him, even. Like the Healer. But Ophelia knew. He was a monster. A bully. She tensed in her chair, sinking deeper into it, as if it could save her.

Blustering at her. Working himself into a true temper. Ophelia was less inclined to sit through it this day. Though she did. Contract clenched in her fingers as he leaned over her desk to scream in her face. Eyes and lips closing against the onslaught.

”You have not been working alone.” Ophelia had worked to. She always worked! She had worked before he came and she would work after he was gone. It was unfair that he refused to see it. Giving himself all credit and dismissing her efforts. Boozy breath cloying as he slavered in her face. Ophelia squinted at him.

”You are who I need protecting from.” Ophelia tilted her head, contract pulled tight between her two hands. ”I had an uninvited guest in my rooms recently. Did you even know? A Prince.” How was that for protection? Ophelia hadn’t even called to him for help, either. The idea that Prince Medin meant her anything but harm was laughable.

Kyle Medin

• Inactive Character
  • Warlord Prince
    47 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 01:08:31 AM »
He was the storm and at the moment Ophelia Shore was the eye.  He couldn't hurt her again. He wouldn't. Never again would he touch her.  He gritted and tried so hard to pull himself back from the edge. He was trying so much to be the good man Magda saw in him.  She was just so infuriating.

"Fine, list, now. Everything you've done to keep Nin running smoothly in the last year." He wasn't going to take no for an answer.  He was ruffling his own feathers now, knowing she'd refused to call for him when she actually needed him.  "And this uninvited guest, why didn't you call? Why won't you let me help you when that's all I need to do? I have family here.  Family that means more to me than anything.  Baylor, Lilika, Veronica, Mother. All of them mean everything to me and if Nin fails under our watch where does that leave them?"
Kyle Medin

Ophelia Shore

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
    34 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »

Ophelia let go of the contract, hands sliding between her thighs. Her fingers slipped each one, knuckles pressed against each other. Her wrist ached and her stomach was a knot, but she wasn’t going to let this chance go.

”I don’t have to give you a list, Prince Medin. You’re my Steward, not the other way around.” She was Nin’s queen. Magda might have interfered, but she hadn’t stripped Ophelia of her power. She was the queen! And he was just a puffed up, self serving book salesman. And Magda was dead.

”Help me?” Ophelia scoffed, a lacquered nail flicking the corner of his contract as she finally let go of herself. ”I can see to a guest on my own.” And she would never call him. Not for anything. Ever. Especially not to protect her. He was a monster. And she was not on his list of priorities. So what would he have done but laugh?

”You’ve been drinking. You, Prince Medin, are the terror. And I find you unfit for service.” Ophelia sat back in her chair, holding tight to her terror. Brute. Bully. He claimed all the glory and shunted every problem or misstep onto her shoulders. Blamed her for everything and gave her no credit for the work she did. He was violent. He was... Ophelia’s lip curled in disgust.

She was tired of being screamed at. She’d faced an Ebon-grey Prince. Prince Medin was nothing.

Kyle Medin

• Inactive Character
  • Warlord Prince
    47 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »
Rage had burned brightly.  It had been at the forefront of his mind. Then it was gone, hardening into a coldness that she'd seen before.  He hadn't even realized his now still hand had had been a clenched shaking fist.  Everything about Kyle had quieted in warning. His eyes were hard and cold as he looked unwavering at Lady Shore.

As she spoke Kyle took a step back and sat down, calm and precise in every movement. He'd already dived down to his depth, he saw Ophelia as an enemy in an instant. His hands steepled in front of him as she spoke of his drinking.  He heard every word, watched quietly at every movement she made.  His brow furrowed for a moment before it relaxed back into a mask of disinterest.

He wanted to care, but his mind had already ran through how this would play out, several different scenarios in fact. Still his eyes only saw the enemy in front of him and his mind wanted to simply destroy her here and now.

"Lady Shore, since we're being exceptionally honest to one another," his hard, emotionless eyes only saw her face, "You can call me a terror all you want, simply because I do not follow your drum, it will never change the fact that you are a bad Queen.  When I came here to work with you to better Nin I expected some troubles but I did not expect one of those troubles to be you." He took a breath in.

"Your lack of understanding of Protocol and your blatant ignorance and negligence of your Court's needs over the last months have proven that. Yes, I have been drinking, however it has not in any sense dulled my perspective or ability to serve as my jewels burn the drink off too quickly for my liking.  If you wish to excuse me from service I hope you have a better reasoning." His eyes pinned her then wanting to strike her but refusing to, holding his own line more firmly than he had the last time she'd thrown him down this mental state.
Kyle Medin

Ophelia Shore

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
    34 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 04:31:02 AM »

"I think the fact that you don't serve, is plenty reason to dismiss you, Prince Medin." A tongue of witchfire licked the corner of his contract. Ophelia was so very tired of being afraid. She couldn't be anything else with this menace around. Even now she was terrified. Her heart racing so fast she was sick with it.

Perspiring.

But if she didn't have gone with him she would never know peace. Might not even know it then, but it was better than being unable to leave her room except for under duress. Every day it was a challenge to climb from her bed, to dress, to leave the one sanctuary she had left. Her garden had long withered, along with her sense of safety and self.

It was time to act. If she could face an Ebon-gray Prince, Ophelia could surely face this menace of a male.

"If I don't wish to have a temperamental steward prone to violence and drinking, I won't." Who could enjoy such service, as he named it? He harped and demanded and treated her as an infant. And for too long Ophelia had let him forget who ruled Nin. His Jewels might have been darker, but she was the Queen! The flicker sparked, turned to flame, and curled the contract.

"Consider yourself dismissed."
Fuck you Magda Fields, you your males with you.

Kyle Medin

• Inactive Character
  • Warlord Prince
    47 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 06:04:39 AM »
Kyle's eyes watched as he heard what she was saying. They watched the tongue of witchlight, the perspiration that was still glistening just a bit.  Time seemed to slow for him as he felt the pain spread through his heart.  It was a dull ache that had started as he stepped into the same room as this queen. It seemed to be getting stronger the longer he stood and realized she didn't care about the state of their home. She didn't care about the work he'd put in. He didn't serve her.  That's what this was about.

He wasn't hers and never would be. He could pretend he served but it was half-hearted, motivated by his family and loved ones. His loved ones.  His mind flashed through them in an instant. Mother, Sister, Baylor, Lili. His heart seized for a moment at the thought of Lili.

The burst of witchfire brought him out of his thoughts. He heard the last weirds. Protocol. Steps to walk away. "As you wish, Lady." There was nothing in his voice, but his demeanor had changed. Pain, hurt, wounded. These could all describe the man in front of her.  The tears in his eyes couldn't just be blinked away, they'd already rolled down both cheeks.  His chest muscles had tightened more as if she'd physically attacked him.  His eyes couldn't hide the misery and loss, or the lost vacant expression that came after.

He was dismissed. One final duty. "I wish there was something I could have done to make this next part easier on you." Surprisingly he did mean that. He called in the stack of contracts and put a Sapphire shield around them. "This is every contract that is to be terminated for early dismissal or if I should desire to rescind my offer to serve." His voice was dry and lifeless, not even noting the pain he was obviously feeling.

The Sapphire powered witchfire burned brightly as it quickly fed on the paper, destroying it in mere moments. "Your Court will know of their dismissal soon enough. Your Court is broken. My most current journals and notes of the happenings of the Court and the actions of everyone has been sent for review.  May the Darkness embrace you Lady." He bowed, though it didn't register her Caste, only her Jewels. He then turned to leave.
Kyle Medin

Ophelia Shore

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
    34 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 08:56:12 AM »

Ophelia's snort made it clear how much she believed that statement. Prince Medin had done nothing to ease the burden on her. He'd worked her nearly to death, the threat of more violence behind every request. He had shown her no care or consideration. She seriously doubted he would show her any now. As such, his tears had no affect on her. A game, she was sure.

She was standing now, though, poised. Hands on the edge of the desk. Ready to flee, or cower, or shield. Prepared now that she knew what he was capable of. Watching suspiciously as he reached into that place of ether. Eyeing the contracts he set on her desk. A bitter, triumphant smile on her face.

"I always knew you were a traitor." Ophelia watched the contracts burn. Who would she miss of the group? Hardly any. None at all. Friends of his. Players in his insidious plot. Had Magda been a part of it too? Maybe that was why she'd been killed. If males like Prince Medin were the sort she trusted, Ophelia could see why her world had gone very, very wrong.

Any of the rumors could be true, backed by that knowledge.

"My court is no concern of yours, Prince. Do take your lackeys and be out of my house by tomorrow." He no longer had rights to proclaim it anything. She had rebuilt before, she would do it again. Carefully. She knew they were likely to strike out if she didn't simply limp off into the night and clear the way for him to take her place. Not with last words like that.

May the Darkness embrace her indeed. Ophelia had no plans on dying so soon.

As if she would ever let him rule Nin.

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open since 2017, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

FALL - AW103

The seasons will change on 11/20.

Recent Topics

Home for the Mourning Days by Vigot Thidrandisson
[October 28, 2020, 04:04:38 PM]

Lore Submissions & Templates by kayndred
[October 27, 2020, 09:40:02 PM]

Transactions by The Darkness
[October 27, 2020, 11:10:02 AM]

Vitian by The Darkness
[October 27, 2020, 11:09:14 AM]

Traveling Too by Audun Dahl
[October 27, 2020, 03:23:32 AM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

The Fellowship
Companions | Open Jewels | Kaeleer
Plaguebearers

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner