• Inactive Character
  • Queen
  • Askavi Terreille
    18 Posts    0 marks
Sense without Sanity
« on: October 23, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »
My heart has had enough of the give and take
Even though it hurts

Itzy had watched the fretting whirlwind of males flock to Ilithian on her return, watched them shy away in alarm and then quickening distrust and disbelief at what their queen had brought back. Madness. It really was the only explanation for why Ilithian had brought home a hell born beast in mortal form. Brought him home and then had expected the resident males not to screech and scream. As if they did anything but screech and scream whenever Ilithian or her or Erylian did anything they didn't approve of. Which was usually everything.

Yes, Itzelian was absolutely certain her friend was insane. That was the only explanation for any of this. Ilithian was insane. Or just willfully naive about the danger of bringing home that...thing. Itzy wasn't sure which but she was fairly certain they'd all suffer for it. It was really only a matter of time. Part of Itzelian sincerely hoped that she was miles away when that happened. She hadn't caused the mess and she had no intention of trying to stop it.

Not that it mattered right now.

Ilithian had brought home a menace and Itzelian had watched from the relative safety of her room and then the hall. It was only when Ilithian's newest pet project had been put away that Itzy dared approach. "I'm surprised your males haven't burnt the eyrie down in protest yet, Ili." Yet. Itzelian fully expected to be woken up by plumes of black smoke one day when the whole lot of them finally snapped. "Though they sounded close to it when you got back this time." She sighed, wings rustling in annoyance at the memory.

"Did he come with a sad story? Or just the promise of murdering us all in our sleep?" Itzelian demanded only half crowding Ilithian as she did so. She didn't particularly want to die in her sleep or anytime soon, but she really had to question Ilithian's judgement sometimes. "Mother Night, Ilithian. We don't need more trouble."

Ilithian

Ilithian

Blood Opal to Sapphire
  • Queen
  • Played By: Jones

Territory Queen
    Askavi Terreille
    75 Posts    0 marks
Re: Sense without Sanity
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:02:38 AM »

Everyone would settle down… eventually. Once they had some time to breathe and see reason. Ilithian was almost positive. As long as their new house guest didn’t kill anyone. At least not on purpose. And she was pretty sure he would keep to himself. If everyone followed her instructions and used common sense. This was fine! It would be fine.

You would think she had brought home a pack of bloodthirsty jhinkas the way her first circle had reacted! Things had been the same way when Rain accepted her contract. All the fear over an unfamiliar Grey jeweled Prince. That had turned out wonderfully. So why not hope for more of the same?

Ilithian hummed to herself as she skidded down the hall in her socks. The Sapphire around her neck was almost empty. Most had been loaned to Eremiar, the rest she had siphoned off in Calming Craft. Even now the lingering tinges of that power hovered over her skin, as if she was just looking for someone to spritz it on. In reality she was meandering off to her room, and hopefully a hot bath. The dungeon had been a stinking mess, and she would probably have nightmares of it for the rest of her life. That didn’t dull her smile as Itzelian rounded in for her turn.

Of course she would do her fussing in private. ”Give them some time, I think they’re trying to figure out how to ignite stone.” Ili teased, unoffended by the jest. ”They need some time to adjust, that’s all! We get used to things being a certain way, new people upset the balance and everyone has to walk the Edge to find their place. You’ll see, when you strike out on a Province of your own.” Maybe Ili provided more teachable moments than was necessary. She didn’t think Itzy would ever really understand. Her strengths leaned more towards tending the land then the people. The same way Ili would never fully enjoy the task of feeding her power into the farmlands.

”Does starving for a hundred years in a filthy slime hole count as a sad story? Because I'm sure there's more. Poor boyo doesn’t even speak so who knows what they did to him while Witch was still alive.” Ilithian furrowed her brow, the joint of her wings snapping up in a defensive posture. She lowered them immediately but there was no apology in her tone as she spoke again, ”I think if any of you had smelled the place you’d be more sympathetic.”

Itzelian

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
  • Askavi Terreille
    18 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »
Even though it hurts

Itzy listened and resisted the urge to huff and roll her eyes. New people were one thing. Two dark jeweled males in less than a year was something else entirely. “Upsetting is one thing, sending half the court into fits is another thing.” She had heard them of course, snarling and snapping over whether they should have followed Ilithian to the Keep or not. None of the bastards that had been left behind had actually left much to Itzelian’s disappointment. But they had whined and complained for the whole affair.

Striking out on a Province of her own. That thought stilled Itzelian for a moment before she shook her head fiercely. A province meant a court, and a court meant people fussing and trying to find excuses to touch her. No. No courts, no provinces, Ilithian we’ve talked about this.” Itzy’s words were short and clipped as she mentally shook herself. No courts, never anything more than what she was currently doing as Ilithian’s apprentice of sorts.

The momentary stillness was gone as Ilithian continued and this time Itzy did roll her eyes. “He suffered. We all did under Witch and her cronies.” Who in Askavi hadn’t? Even those that had tried to curry favor had suffered for it in the end. “We’re more sympathetic toward not dying, Ili. Hell’s fire, he could’ve killed you down there! Then where would the rest of us be?” Irritation sent her pacing, wings spreading before snapping shut. “We need you alive, Ili. Not dead from trying to save every stray and sad warlord prince in Askavi.” The land called and it was sensible, the land called and it didn’t threaten immediate and painful death but Ilithian listened to the males that called and threats of instant death didn’t seem to matter. It was enough to drive Itzelian up the wall.

“You can’t save them all, Ilithian.” There was a note of sadness there and Itzelian sighed and shook her head. “None of us can.” There was only death for trying, not that Itzy had any illusions that her friend would even heed the warning. Ilithian did as she pleased and the rest of them fell in line eventually.

Ilithian

Ilithian

Blood Opal to Sapphire
  • Queen

Territory Queen
    Askavi Terreille
    75 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 01:31:24 AM »

Wings fidgeting Ilithian let them slump low so that they brushed the floor. Almost feeling guilty for making her friends so uneasy. Almost. ”Nice to know your confidence in me hasn’t waned.” Their anger was flattering more than upsetting. No one had cared when she was a little thing being trampled, threatened, or bullied. Now they did. They cared a lot. Enough to snarl and bristle and yell about every risk she took. Even Itzy, who liked to pretend she cared for nothing but herself, cared enough to fuss.

Now the fact that someday her apprentices would rule on their own- that made her sad. In her mind they were like a great big family. All together under one roof, happily (mostly) coexisting. They were all getting to know one another so well! It was great. But they, the queens, had a responsibility. To the land and their people. For now her ladies weren’t quite ready. Resistant even, she thought while biting back a smirk. ”You have a lot of time to think about it. I wouldn’t put you anywhere but here in Parbelavi, anyway. And I need the eyrie until this Dhemlan mess is under control.” Maybe Morn would stay behind in Itzy First Circle. Ilithian rubbed the back of her arm subconsciously.

Finger pointing like a weapon the young queen shook her head. That was taking things too far. ”Not the way he did. You can’t even compare it.” Her temper was firmly in check, for now; voice firm but calm. This was a new boyo, though, and he needed extra protecting. Mostly because he was rough and wouldn’t let coddle him. Boo. Ilithian puffed out her cheeks in mild agitation. ”He could have killed me. He never even tried. Never put a finger on me, even!”

She started moving, having stood still too long already. Walking slowly so that they could still talk. ”One man is not every stray… Besides most of them come to me!” She said definitively. Which was true. The only time she had really gone looking, intentionally, for a boyo to contract she hadn’t even been able to find him. Rain had found her instead. Sneaky webweaver that he was.

Now her wings drew up again. Making a threatening snap as she pulled them close to her body. She stopped, turning to face Itzy with lowered lids. ”I couldn’t.” So many memories rushed back. Face after face flashing through her memory. ”There are so many I never had any opportunity to help.” Still calm, still collected. Even if her hands trembled slightly, wanting to reach for the jewel around her neck. Or call in her Opal. ”This one was saveable. So I saved him.” And she would gladly die saving any others that knelt. Someone else would stand up to finish the fight. They were Eyrien, Askavi belonged to them, the job would get done in the end.

Itzelian

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
  • Askavi Terreille
    18 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:07 PM »
my heart has had enough of the give and take
even though it hurts

"It would take more than this for me to lose confidence, Ili." Far more than Itzelian was willing to admit. She'd sought Ilithian out rather than been brought back and Ilithian's penchant for bringing home strays wouldn't scare her off. As tempting as it was sometimes. But Ili needed someone sensible enough to bake her before she walked right into danger again, someone other than the flustered gaggle of males.

Somehow she wasn't surprised that she'd come to regret mentioning her reluctance to take a province. Ruling was easy enough for a queen like Ilithian. She liked the attention, the fuss. Itzy just wanted a quiet sort of peace, something she hadn't had since before the academy. No chance at getting that with Ilithian hinting at a future she could only just avoid. "At least I won't have to do much moving then." She grumped. Parbelavi was nice though, the eyrie already felt like home. Complete with squabbles among family.

The pointing did little to dissuade Itzelian from her current course and she only just bit back a growl of frustration. “Can’t compare it? Maybe but that doesn’t change anything, Ilithian.” Ilithian had escaped from that thrice damned academy before the end of everything hadn’t she? Itzelian let her temper simmer, directed it elsewhere with far more patience than she felt. Ilithian had come back whole and as stubborn as she'd left. "Oh good. He's not murderous. Yet." Itzy would never understand how Ilithian could walk into a room with a strange male. Especially not after everything Dhemlan had put them through.

Still she followed when restlessness took Ilithian and frowned. "I don't even know how you do it. Alesian's right about keeping them at bay." Or so she believed. Rain understood enough to stay away but the others demanded attention and far more than Itzy would ever be comfortable giving. "They're coming to find a queen to bully around."

The snap made her own wings flare, a warning and alarm all at once. She'd pushed too far, too fast. Itzelian knew that but how else was she supposed to get her friend to understand just how much she'd worried them this time? "You have the chance to save so many more now..." She made a sound of frustration in the back of her throat as her wings fluttered. "Just don't lose yourself saving them, Ili." Or trying to.

Ilithian

Ilithian

Blood Opal to Sapphire
  • Queen

Territory Queen
    Askavi Terreille
    75 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 04:30:23 PM »

Chirping cheerfully Ilithian nodded her head, ”You’ll get the bigger room. It has a great view!” As if the young queen used the massive windows for viewing. She was always a restless creature. The room was empty of its occupant more often than not. Those same view giving windows becoming the doors of her escape when she wasn’t sweeping silently down the halls. Dribbling strips of her Sapphire into calming tendrils as she went.

They were all scarred by the war. By the threats that held them down for so long. No one ever really slept in Askavi. Not even here, in the safest house of them all. At night the eyrie was quieter but there was always an underlying whisper. A tension in the air. The promise that eyes would shoot open and weapons would materialize in an instant should need arise. It kept Ili awake more than her own nightmares. The unease of her people.

All of her people. In Ligure, and in the rest of Askavi.

”Actually, he did kill everyone at the Keep...” Ili said with her nose wrinkling in aggravation. Not at Itzy but at her own inability to tell even a white lie to a friend. They were Dhemlanese though, so she didn’t think they actually counted. ”Would you rather him fly off to settle in some upstart’s court? I get the impression he’s much older than us, perhaps he’ll decide the old ways were better. Start a little rival court of his own.” Ilithian didn’t think Eremiar had any intentions of doing either. It was the point, though, that she needed Itzy to understand. He could do those things. Being scooped up and… well she couldn’t say tamed, pacified was more accurate. A good thing to give him somewhere to be and let him feel important. ”You can’t let men go getting their own ideas of how things should be. He belongs here, where we have people that can keep him from becoming a bad situation. Besides, Rain would never let him hurt anyone here.”

Poor Rain. He was probably pouting harder than any of the rest. Her heart tugged in the direction of her own room. Was he in there, waiting to scold her? She just wanted to curl up in his lap and cry that no one else wanted to understand her reasoning. Later, she promised herself, when all the proverbial fires were put out. And her new boyo was made comfortable. Perhaps, if she was lucky, he would spend the rest of the evening eating and resting in his room. Then maybe the tension would ease enough for everyone else to breath again.

A small snort of disbelief rushed through Ilithian's nose. ”Oh, Itzy, don't be absurd. Men are infinitely amusing, and useful. They couldn't survive without us, either, it's cruel to leave them to their own devices. When they have us to fuss after they don't go out starting wars or forcing good women into subjugation.” Dear Alesian had earned her right to whatever opinion suited her. It was Ilithian's responsibility to make sure Itzelian met nice boyos that could give her a different idea of men.

It was impossible to forget, though, that the three queens in Ligure were all close in age. Close enough to be more a Coven than mentor and apprentices. They were friends. Itzy and Ili especially, from a childhood of shared trauma. Sometimes, Ili decided, ladies needed petting and soothing too. ”Next time I'll bring Rain. But this one needed to kneel in private before being around other males.” She said, as if she had known he would all along instead of stumbling blindly down into a mystery dungeon. Her temper melting she skipped a few steps and whispered conspiratorially, ”They had him caged in there stark naked! Nothing but chains and hair down to his ankles.”

Itzelian

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
  • Askavi Terreille
    18 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
my heart has had enough of the give and take
even though it hurts

Ilithian had lost her mind. Itzy was certain of it. It was the only explanation for it. She’d brought home a male, fresh from murder - even if those deaths were dhemlanese deaths - and mother night knew what else and hadn’t expected backlash. “So not murderous yet because he killed some Dhemlanese? Wonderful. She groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose. The idea of having this new male run off to some upstart’s court made her wings twitch.

There were enough upstart courts glowering at Ilithian as it were. If this one presented such a similar danger then it was best to be rid of him if that was the case. Though Itzelian didn’t mention that out loud. It wouldn’t help the situation in the slightest. “Keeping him here won't stop him from taking over if he really wants to." She sighed again, wings slumping. "Yes, I suppose poor Rain will have to be a buffer enough. Once he stays where you tell him to." Though Itzy had no such illusions. Men, especially warlord princes, did as they pleased and Darkness help anyone who tried to get in their way.

Itzelian's answering snort was nothing short of filled with disgust. Needed people like them. Yes, she was perhaps too aware of what the men flitting around Askavi now saw her as. Queens were always a buffer between the ill tempered men and the general populace. It was both humbling and maddening. "I know they can't survive without us but I honestly wish they'd learn to keep their hands to themselves just once." Maybe they'd learn after a few more choice bites but Itzelian wasn't entirely too keen on that. Too many of them would see it as an invitation.

Letting out a breath of surrender, Itzy nodded. "Just don't go running off alone again. The lot you left here might just be rioting by the time you get back." And she would be far from trying to stop them. Not that she actually could if it came to that. Following Ili's skipping, she frowned. Chained up and stark naked? Itzelian shuddered, she could imagine - maybe a little too clearly - what they'd kept him for. "Did they just forget he was there? That he was even alive?" It was possible.

Possible and horrifying.

"They used to keep males like that in the cellars at the academy." She shuddered again. "None of them that dark though..." or at least none that she remembered. Not that she wanted to remember any of it. Too many males trussed up and paraded as a warning to keep the young queens in line.

Ilithian

Ilithian

Blood Opal to Sapphire
  • Queen

Territory Queen
    Askavi Terreille
    75 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »

”Yes.” Ilithian agreed, brightening at the word wonderful, even if Itzy body language strong implied it was sarcasm. ”They deserved to go. I think burning was a bit gruesome, but he was their victim so it was his choice. I was just going to pop them.” She said casually. As if reaching into someone to snuff out their webs was a less gruesome way to die just because she had a cute name for it. Popping. The same way she did bubbles in the bath.

Poor, poor Rain. A crease formed over the bridge of her nose, writing confusion across her face. ”Of course it will. We have Rain.” Which was basically as safe as a person could be. Rain could stop just about anyone. So until the knew this boyo better, he was best kept close. For all the psychic hugging and petting she could force on him. Since he didn’t like touching. ”And if he wants to take over he’ll have to sneak around about it, here. Off on his own he could just do whatever he pleased with no one the wiser.“ The wrinkle puckered harder, ”Which would be extra hard for him because I don’t think he can talk. Or wants to talk. I don’t know what that’s about. He just grunts or growls and sticks pictures in your head.”

She was probably not making his case any better. Snarling Red Jewelled Warlord Prince that communicated in the strangest fashion. ”Cyprian is either going to be fascinated or cry.” Likely both. Poor silly healer.

”Keep biting them and they’ll never stop poking.” A teasing smile worked across her lips. ”They like the challenge. You reel them in with that hissing, then act all aloof. Set yourself up to be the prize on a pedestal. They think if they just try hard enough you’ll have to notice.” Then they wanted extra petting for the effort. Which Itzy rarely provided. So they slunk over to Ili all riled and bothered.

Ah well. She was good at settling them down.

Slightly less so with women, though. She pondered it a second before turning left down another corridor. Maybe she just expected more from her gender. Gold eyes drooping slightly as she listened it crossed her mind that perhaps Itzy did too. Expected more from Ilithian because of her gender, and caste. Or because she had stood while everyone else scrambled. Stood up and taken on the responsibility. ”I know, I do know.” But it was hard. Hard to be told no, or to wait. This time it worked in her favor. Anyone else sent into the bowels of the Keep would have been slaughtered. That was fate, or luck, or chance. Next time the Darkness might not embrace her so forgivingly.

Suppressing a shudder Ilithian shifted her wings restlessly as she remembered the chains. ”No. They were feeding him just enough to keep him alive. He wasn’t forgotten. They just didn’t want to deal with the risks so they let him suffer on down there in the dark.”

That was the part that disturbed her least of his ordeal. What came before Witch’s death was what made her blood burn with anger. ”They wanted him dark. So that the children he was forced to father might be too… And so he’d put up an entertaining fight when they needed a show.” At least that was Ilithian’s take on it. She had run the reasons through her head a thousand times already. Eremiar was neither eager not fit to share more than basic details. She would never press him to relive any of it either. There were too many other horrible reasons to have kept him for her to be genuinely curious. Still the questions rattled in her mind. ”I wonder if that was how she broke them… would have broken me?”

Or the more personal, ”I don’t know how he survived.” So few would have. Even with his Gray dear Rain would have wilted away to nothing in that hole, probably long before Witch’s Reign ever ended.

Itzelian

• Inactive Character
  • Queen
  • Askavi Terreille
    18 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 06:30:50 PM »
Even though it hurts

Popping, popping like little bubbles. The thought was just gruesome enough for Itzy to push it aside. Ili’s new stray had burnt them alive versus popping them. They were dead either way and she couldn’t bring herself to mourn. They’d deserved it and more.

Nodding quietly, she managed a half smile. They had Rain, of course. Itzy did envy Ili’s ability to put her faith in his shields and in him in general but that was the essence of a heartbond. Or at least that was what she figured it was. Faith in a male that could stop someone else from do them all in. Wrinkling her nose at Ili, she finally shrugged, “Maybe Cyprian can figure it out.” Right after she finished crying or maybe never.

Itzy huffed, arms crossing stubbornly, “Well maybe they need to try harder then.” As if she’d indulge any of them. The ghost of a memory of dark curls almost made her sputter. Well maybe one, but she didn’t dare mention him again. Ili hadn’t let her rest the first time and it would be doubly horrible this time around, she was sure of it. “And that wasn’t an invitation for you to help them. If they want me then they can try all on their lonesome.” It was slightly cruel though, setting them up in a contest they had no hope of winning but Itzelian couldn’t bring herself to care.

Such was life though.

Cruel and unforgiving and filled with every responsibility that Itzelian would have preferred to leave behind. Maybe she’d section off a small part of the garden and live there for the rest of her life. No responsibilities, no expectations. But no, she couldn’t very well leave Ili alone to face all the snarling males and upstarts that had scattered only to come crawling back once the dust settled.

“It would’ve been kinder to kill him.” Kinder which was why it hadn’t crossed their minds no doubt. “Death would’ve been infinitely better than being left chained up in the dark.” Better to leave him to suffer and become someone else’s problem than to actually put him out of his misery. She was agitated enough to send her hands toying with the torq around her neck. The Darkness only knew why she’d only been given the Rose, she’d have likely burned half of Dhemlan to the ground otherwise for their crimes or died trying.

Poor Ilithian and yet lucky Ilithian. She’d escaped before she could see the depth of the horrors that Dhemlan had been willing to inflict on all of them. Itzelian envied it to a point even as she kept her hands busy with the jewelry around her neck.

“Yes.” She didn’t even hesitate to answer, her voice cracking. How many had disappeared only to be returned weeks later a shadow of their former selves? “They’d turned it into a game by the time I escaped. Even if you followed all their rules and abuses they’d still throw any of us to the men they kept. Just for entertainment.” Entertainment and to keep everyone else holding on to some fool’s hope that they wouldn’t be next. That she’d gotten out at all had been a lifetime’s worth of luck and several decades off her life as well. Jaw set to avoid gagging on the bile rising in her throat, Itzelian shook her head. “He was lucky, I guess.” Lucky or blessed.

“Maybe it’s better that he can’t talk about it and that he scares the rest of us so much.” Itzy added softly. No one would be inclined to ask how he’d wound up there if he couldn’t answer them and they’d be even less inclined to bother him with his snarling and growling. She was almost jealous. Almost.

Ilithian

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open since 2017, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

SUMMER - AW104

The seasons will change on 09/21.

Recent Topics

Traveling Too by Koa Red-eye
[September 18, 2021, 06:10:25 AM]

Crystal Mind and Magenta Feelings by Filaesion Rilindisil
[September 14, 2021, 09:32:22 AM]

Fire and Ice by Talimar
[September 12, 2021, 06:07:02 AM]

Spring Leaves, City Lights by Aendaciana Rilindisil
[September 04, 2021, 10:35:03 AM]

Well, hello there by Lorivar
[August 28, 2021, 06:36:35 AM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

The Fellowship
Companions | Open Jewels | Kaeleer
Plaguebearers

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner