• Roeselare Province Queen
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    33 Posts    0 marks
Ashes to Ashes
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:38:41 AM »
Tagged: Rainier
@Notes: N/A
You know I like a little competition from time to time
The news coming out of Dendrabelle was worrying. A grove burning and Magda at the heart of it. Ghislaine had spent a fair bit of time turning the news over in her head, wracking her brain for just why that had been necessary. Rumors of a rot. Insidious and creeping and Ghislaine wasn’t quite certain she believed them. The harvests had been questionable but nothing that warranted destroying the very trees themselves.

Rumors told her just enough about the situation and nothing at all. She was on the verge of sending Magda a letter about the whole thing. Lutrani were hardly hardly reliable sources and the little gossips in her court were about as reliable as the otters themselves. Which left her with bits and pieces of the truth to puzzle over.

What a bother. What a distressing bother.

If Magda had burnt that grove because of the rot, then she would have to keep an eye on her own province. Nothing had spread to her knowledge. None of the district rulers had spotted anything unusual. Or at least nothing more unusual than what cropped up from time to time in Roeselare’s fields. Still. She would have to send word for them to be wary. And word to Magda for more details because she was equal parts concerned and equal parts curious.

Those were all concerns for another time and place. Primarily for when she wasn’t curled up in bed with the winter sniffles. Lin had left medicine and she’d taken enough of the foul tasting brew to shun it and retreat to the comfort of her pillows with the news on Dendrabelle in tow. Maybe fretting over the news had finally done her in. She was certainly more than willing to blame her present ill health on Magda and her grove burning.

”Rainier!” Her attempt at calling out to her consort was pitiful at best, and punctuated with coughing. Mother Night she hated winter, perhaps more than she hated the contents of the papers sprawled beside her. *Rainier!* she whined again this time across a private thread.

Rainer Southlyn

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
  • Little Terreille Kaeleer
    17 Posts    0 marks
Re: Ashes to Ashes
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:20:19 AM »

His signature went askew at the end. Ghislaine's call sliding through his outer barriers and turning lyn into a confused squiggle. With a sigh, Rainier set the quill aside, there was no fixing that and he wasn't about to rewrite the entire letter, so he left it. It was legible enough, and his father didn't know his handwriting by now there was nothing a perfect signature could change.

*I'm coming.* A quick burst of cold settled the ink enough for the letter to be folded up and vanished. Standing, he pulled on his coat and slipped out of his jacket, long strides eating up the distance between his office and Ghi's rooms. She was where he hoped to find her considering the discomfort that had accompanied her call. The papers strewn about the bedspread caused him to frown, however.

"I thought you were resting?"
He glanced from her to the half-drunk brew on the table, eyebrow raised in question. Biting the inside of his cheek to keep from smiling, Rainier began gathering up the papers. "Where did all these come from?" He asked, glancing at them as he collected them, leaving them in a neat stack on a table that was no where near her bedside.

Ghislaine Summerden

• Inactive Character
  • Black Widow Queen
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    33 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
Ghislaine followed his gaze and burrowed further into the mass of blankets and pillows. “I am resting. I haven’t been out of bed since you left.” she protested making a face at the brew, “That thing is disgusting and I think he makes them that way on purpose.” It wouldn’t surprise her. Ghislaine knew her court healer was skilled but mother night his brews left something to be desired in the taste department. They were punishment most likely for being a terrible patient.

There went her paper hoard and the main source of her fretting over Magda’s latest fancy for burning orchards. ”One of my handmaidens brought them up for me.” She stated matter-of-factly watching and frowning at where Rainier had taken the pile. Now that was hardly fair but at least it would stop her from giving into the urge to go over them again. Not that that stopped her from fretting.

”They were interesting too.” Ghislaine began, ”They’re about Lady Fields and her latest...hobby of burning orchards.” As if burning such large swathes of Dendrabelle could even be called a hobby. Those burning trees were a queen’s nightmare, but nothing more than rumors had reached her notice.

Rainer Southlyn

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
    17 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 11:00:33 PM »

Rainier shook his head and cast a sidelong look at his Queen. He knew very well she was lying, even if she was telling the truth. Fretting in bed was not at all the same thing as resting and she knew it as well as he, whatever she told herself.

"It's good for you."
He defended. He had yet to need one of Lin's brews, but Rainier couldn't imagine they were all that bad. Handmaidens. Wretched creatures had no sense. He would have to have a talk with them about when to not follow Ghi's orders. He came around and picked up the half empty glass, giving the brew inside a sniff that left him flinching.

"Hobby of what?"
Rainier set the glass down and sat on the edge of her bed, pointing his toes toward the ceiling and laying a hand on what he thought might be her knee. He couldn't tell beneath all the blankets. "What trees is she burning?" Giving up on the knee, Rainier took one of her hands, his thumb running over her knuckles soothingly. "Seems an odd hobby for a Queen."

Ghislaine Summerden

• Inactive Character
  • Black Widow Queen
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    33 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »
"It's terrible." she doubled down defiantly. Terrible and likely brewed with the things growing in the far back of the gardens and greenhouses. The things she made a point of avoiding on the rare occasions that she went down there. It was the easiest explanation for the taste. Not that it mattered. The brew was sitting on her table and reminding her that she'd have to force the rest down soon.

Though Ghislaine was most certainly grinning as Rainier flinched away from the brew. "I told you it was foul." Foul and yes, likely to lessen her suffering but she was allowed to complain for some time before she actually touched it again. Especially if Rainier was making such faces at the thing as well. "I'll finish it later." Much, much later. Maybe before she retired in the evening. If at all.

The grin melted away and she sighed, slumping - if possible - further into the pillows and . "Dendra--" A sharp sneeze cut her off and Ghislaine whined audibly. Wretched winter and the accompanying cold. "All of Dendrabelle's orchards. Not just the forests." If it were just one or two trees then she could understand but entire orchards? Madness. Utter madness. A madness that she could hope was kept confined to Shahllene and Dendrabelle, Rodgau even...but what if... What if she turned her wild hunt and burning on Roeselare?

"They were half rumors, half confirmed... but Mother Night, Rainier." Ghislaine tried and failed to swallow the rising lump of panic. "What if she turns on us? On Roeselare?" If Madga turned her burning and attention on Roeselare there would truly be little she could do other than hope that the woman could be reasoned with. Or at worse driven off.

Rainer Southlyn

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
    17 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 09:24:29 AM »

Rainier simply lifted an eyebrow in reply and gave Ghislaine a look. Brews were meant for drinking, the whole of them, foul or not. And Ghi needed them more than another might, sadly. The look said it all, developed from years of intimacy. He knew her, and she wouldn't be getting away with nonsense that easily.

"Mhm." The tone implied he didn't believe. But also that he'd make sure she did so. Personally. Though Rainier suspected that even if he should fail, Lin would know - probably by some mysterious Healer power - and then Ghislaine would truly suffer. "Maybe even a double dose." He finished musing out loud, canting a look at her and smirking.

"-Belle?" Tissues were called in and handed over. Rainier always carried some this time of year. He'd learned that early enough. "All of them?" Surprising. He settled deeper into the bed, closer, thumb still running its soothing pattern over her knuckles. "Pity for Dendrabelle since its nearly only trees." Rainier squeezed and tucked some loose hair behind Ghi's ear fastidiously.

"I doubt she would, love. Roeselare doesn't have many trees." Was his joking rebuttal. "Now tell me about the rumors. I can't imagine she's gone and done this on a fit of whimsy."

Ghislaine Summerden

• Inactive Character
  • Black Widow Queen
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    33 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 02:02:42 AM »
Tell me does it scare you
That I'm living my dream?

Nodding sullenly Ghislaine huffed in annoyance at her sniffling more than anything else, "All of them." she confirmed before sighing. Dendrabelle would be barren before the ground thawed at this rate. What then? Food shortages and rioting no doubt. The general populace of Little Terreille did enjoy their riots a little too much. The thought of it all made her sneeze again, thankful for the offered tissues.

"There's nothing solid which is the problem." She began, "Dendrabelle's harvests were...less than desirable if the rumours are to believed." Which given the fickle nature of trees was to be expected from time to time. "There's a...ah what did they call it..? A rot. A rot eating away at the trees and it might be spreading." She made a face at the notion. Spreading meant it could very well become an issue for her if it was true. If any of it was true.

"I won't even know if it spreads here unless I can convince my district queens to keep an eye out." Which was easier said than done, rallying the district queens was a lesson in patience that she didn't want. Sniffling Ghislaine untangled herself from the sheets finally, crawling close to wrap her arms around Rainier's middle in a hug. "It's going to be such a mess." She complained, "A headachey mess." And Magda would probably come to see her eventually if the rot or whatever it was was spreading. Maybe she would just avoid any meetings for the time being. Mother Night knew there wasn't anything she could do about land and its messes. Not without causing herself unnecessary agony.

"Can we stay here until Magda and this whole mess is over?"

Rainier

Rainer Southlyn

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
    17 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 09:40:40 AM »

Rainier opened his arms for Ghi, angling his body toward hers before folding her within his embrace. He rested his cheek against her forehead and stroked her shoulder soothingly. He worried when Ghislaine worried, fretting herself into a bedridden mess. He would have preferred murderous outrage, but that probably would have confined her to bed as well, afterward. He sighed and kissed the crown of her head.

"We can, but I don't think you'd like yourself much if you did." Rainier would always follow Ghislaine's lead, and stand as her sword and shield for whichever battle she chose. But that did not mean was unwilling to point out flaws in her plan. "You're not the type to hide, my queen. Even from headachey messes." Carefully, Rainier pulled Ghi into his lap, pressing her close.

"Why not start with the border queens and go from there?" He suggested softly. "That is what, one or two? Four at most. Much less to wrangle all at once." He thought of trade routes, which were mapped into his memory from helping with his family's business. "If its going to spread, it'll start there or near any major ports of business. But it all has to cross the border. No one ships on Winds anymore." No one with any sense, anyway.

Ghislaine Summerden

• Inactive Character
  • Black Widow Queen
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    33 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »

It was easier to settle and focus when she could anchor herself with Rainier’s comforting presence was much better than fretting herself into knots. She’d have accepted the comfort from any of her males for all the good it did but truthfully, Rainier was the only one she wanted anywhere near her while she considered sticking her head in the sand and pretending that whatever rot Magda chased wasn’t a possibility. That was always the easier course. Not ideal but easier. Not that the people would care overly much about the reasons behind her doing nothing.

Sighing Ghislaine burrowed her face in Rainier’s neck. “I know.” she groaned, “I know I won’t enjoy it but Hell’s Fire...why couldn’t Magda have found something else to chase or chase this thrice damned rot some other time.” Not that Magda had ever done anything to make anyone’s life easier on that front. The abrupt burning of the orchards would leave chaos rippling through the provinces for years to come and headaches for any queen that secured a court in Little Terreille for just as long. Another sigh and Ghislaine lifted her head just slightly, settling better into Rainier’s lap and she nodded.

The border queens were reasonable. Most of them were anyway. The ones that weren’t could be persuaded to behave for a few moments to give a report. “Two...two until the end of summer when the apprentices are done training...” Ghislaine stifled a sniffle mentally rifling through the list of apprentices and where they’d landed for training. “...maybe one of them has seen or heard more about this...” she could feel a headache coming on the more she considered the level of work needed to sort out this whole mess. “Small mercy that no one uses the Winds for shipping anymore. At least this rot or whatever it is won’t spread that way.” Assuming that it was even anything to worry about.

That was a problem for another day. One where she wasn’t curled up in bed and suffering. Magda and her rot could wait, it hadn’t done any excessive harm to Roeselare that she could see just yet. “I’ll have Vincent draft some letters tomorrow if he’s not off chasing Analise. No more work today.” Ghislaine grumped against his neck, “I’ll deal with all of it tomorrow.”

Rainier

Rainer Southlyn

• Inactive Character
  • Prince
    17 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 08:23:29 AM »

Rainier tried not to laugh, hiding a smile in Ghi's hair instead. Petulant as a child, his Ghislaine. She thought often of what was hers first, and anything else second. A trait, he knew, some found undesirable in person. For Rainier, it was different. Maybe because he had seen it tempered over the years as she went from girl to woman.

Or maybe it was because he could admire a queen who looked after her own.

"Two is not many. And you've done well in preparing your apprentice-queens." Sometimes by subtle frights as much as training. Rainier nuzzled her temple. He rather liked watching her terrorize the young ladies of the court. He pushed himself against her head board, taking her body with his. Hoping she wouldn't notice his boots on her bedspread. Or if she did, not mind.

He tucked her against him, one hand soothing her arm while he reached for the brew at her bedside.

"Tomorrow." Rainier would make sure the Steward was in his office with his pants up, tomorrow. Mother Night help him if Vincent failed Ghi in this. He pressed the brew on her. "Drink." He softened the demand with a kiss on her cheek. And a little bribery. Not even the subtle sort either. "If you do, I might have something in my pocket for you."

Ghislaine Summerden

• Inactive Character
  • Black Widow Queen
    Little Terreille Kaeleer
    33 Posts    0 marks
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 09:39:25 PM »

“Mhm.” she nodded with a sigh. The younger queens were all eager to please so it would be easy to put them to work and maybe it would all turn out to be nothing. Then she would only have Rainier to fuss at for putting his boots on the bed and not a province-wide crisis. She was too comfortable to bother fussing at him. She’d do that later. When there wasn’t a brew she didn’t want looming closer.

There was no small amount of petulant suspicion and silent bargaining from Ghislaine at the returned sight of the brew. She should have known, of course, that Rainier would insist that she finish it. Of course knowing didn’t make it anymore pleasant. “I can finish that tomorrow too.” she said hopefully, already taking the glass despite her protests. “Along with the other one he’ll bring.” As if there was ever an end to the brews and the fussing. Lin seemed to find more brews to slip her as time went on and she was hardly in any position to object.

Tilting her head just enough to eye him along the periphery of her vision with an entirely too cat-like suspicion, Ghislaine finally relented. “I’ll drink it on a might.” Which she did with much grimacing and a shudder that wasn’t entirely dramatics on her part. Lin really did need to not make those brews so terrible or people would start suspecting that it was on purpose.

Still she’d drunken the foul thing and suffered through it, which left her possible gift from Rainier. “See? All gone and now you might have something for me?” Even if Rainier had nothing at all she’d forgive him. She still had his company after all which was worth more now than most gifts.

Rainier

Welcome to Witchlight

We are an AU Black Jewels RPG that is continuously expanding the world lore to truly make it our own. Come join us and play in our sandbox!

Open since 2017, we have 9 unique races, from birds to wolf-shifters. Feel free to drop into our Discord, lurk our wanted ads, and see if Witchlight is the fantasy site you should always have been looking for.

We have an RPG Rating of:

Timeline

SPRING - AW104

The seasons will change on 02/21.

Recent Topics

Traveling Too by Audun Dahl
[May 04, 2021, 01:33:18 AM]

Spring Leaves, City Lights by Koa Red-eye
[May 02, 2021, 08:13:26 AM]

Whispering Footsteps by Aendaciana Rilindisil
[April 24, 2021, 09:34:42 PM]

Transactions by The Darkness
[April 14, 2021, 04:41:58 PM]

Rilindisil, Aendaciana by The Darkness
[April 14, 2021, 04:38:35 PM]

Chat

Guest Friendly Discord
login & choose a name, no registration required!

Wanted Spotlight

The Fellowship
Companions | Open Jewels | Kaeleer
Plaguebearers

Rumor Mill

Credits

Witchlight is loosely based upon the Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop though it has been adapted and expanded by our members. All lore, characters, and writing belongs to the members. Site graphics & custom codes were created by the staff. A special thanks to Wolf & Katarina for all their help with the planning of Witchlight and the writing of the base lore.

Community Awards Winner